High Blood Pressure occurs when the flow of blood against the artery walls is too high.
Following food items should be consumed for lowering high blood pressure:
• Consumption of sodium should be extremely reduced. Hence, it is advised to limit intake of salt. Also, avoid caffeine and alcohol
• Food with potassium, magnesium and fiber help to lower blood pressure. Fruits and vegetables with good amount of potassium, magnesium and fiber are as stated below:
1. Fruits – Apples, Apricots, Peaches, Oranges, Pineapples, Strawberries, Blueberries, Kiwi, Melons, Grapes, Bananas, Watermelon, Pomegranate
2. Vegetables – Tomatoes, Beet, Carrots, Broccoli, Spinach, Green peas, Sweet potato, Cabbage
• Replace refined flour products with wheat based products
• For seasoning, use herbs and spices like – Garlic, Cinnamon, Thyme, Rosemary and Basil
• Use of olive oil for cooking food
• Oats are high in fiber, low in fat and sodium. Hence, it is highly recommended
• Lentils and pulses – Chickpeas, Kidney beans, Baked beans.